Signs of Addiction
If you or someone you love has any of these signs, they may have a problem with drugs or alcohol.
Please call us toll-free 1-800-819-9973 to speak with a certified chemical dependency counselor today.
Know the Warning Signs of Addiction
Take our free “Am I am an Addict?” Quiz for more help in determining whether or not someone is addicted.
- Increase or decrease in appetite; changes in eating habits, unexplained weight loss or gain.
- A smell of substance on breath, body or clothes.
- Extreme hyperactivity; excessive talkativeness.
- Needle marks or bruises on lower arm, legs or bottom of feet.
- Change in overall attitude/personality with no other identifiable cause.
- Changes in friends: new hang-outs, avoidance of old crowd, new friends are drug users.
- Change in activities; loss of interest in things that were important before.
- Drop in school or work performance; skips or is late to school or work.
- Changes in habits at home; loss of interest in family and family activities.
- Difficulty in paying attention; forgetfulness.
- Lack of motivation, energy, self-esteem, discipline. Bored, “I don’t care” attitude.
- Defensiveness, temper tantrums, resentful behavior (everything’s a hassle)
- Unexplained moodiness, irritability, or nervousness.
- Violent temper or bizarre behavior.
- Unexplained silliness or giddiness.
- Paranoia — overly suspicious.
- Excessive need for privacy; keeps the door locked or closed, won’t let people in.
- Secretive or suspicious behavior.
- Car accidents, fender benders, household accidents.
- Chronic dishonesty; trouble with the police.
- Unexplained need for money; can’t explain where their money goes; stealing.
- Unusual effort to cover arms, legs.
- Change in personal grooming habits.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia.
Fill out our free Assessment form and one of our counselors will contact you within 24-36 hours. If you would like to speak to someone sooner, or if this is an emergency, call us now. 1-800-819-9973