Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
The Theory of DBT:
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy maintains that some people, due to their environment, during their early years and also due to biological factors, are more apt to react abnormally to emotional stimulation. This type of person is more prone to have their arousal level stimulated more quickly and have that sense peak at higher levels. It also takes more time for this type of person to return to a normal baseline. This is why some people have crisis-strewn lives and EXTREME EMOTIONAL LIABILITY (emotions that shift rapidly). It has also been noted that this person does not possess methods for coping with these sudden intense surges of emotion. DBT is a method for teaching skills that will help with this task. Call us today for help with addiction.
What is DBT? How does it work?
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) consists of two parts:
- Once-weekly psychotherapy sessions, in which a particular problematic behavior or event from the past week is explored in detail, beginning with the chain of events leading up to it, going through alternative solutions that might have been used, and examining what kept the client from using more different solutions to the problem.
- Both between and during sessions, the therapist actively teaches and reinforces adaptive behaviors, especially as they occur within the therapeutic relationship. The emphasis is on teaching patients how to manage emotional trauma rather than reducing or taking them out of crises. Telephone contact with the individual therapist between sessions is part of DBT procedures.
DBT targets behaviors in a descending hierarchy:
- Decreasing high-risk suicidal behaviors
- Decreasing responses or behaviors (by either therapist or patient) that interfere with therapy
- Decreasing behaviors that interfere with/reduce the quality of life
- Decreasing and dealing with post-traumatic stress response
- Enhancing respect for self-acquisition of the behavioral skills taught in a group setting.
We can help you or someone you love find the best Holistic Drug Rehab Center for addiction today. Addiction No More is an Addiction Treatment Center locator service. For immediate service, please call one of our counselors 24/7.
Please Note: This is not an official Assessment or Evaluation form. This form is not admissible in court or for probation officers and is not accepted by caseworkers. Addiction No More is here to help you find treatment for addiction. We can not give any legal advice. If you are looking for a rehab center please fill out this form or call us now.
Disclaimer: This evaluation is not intended to constitute a diagnosis of any disorder. The information provided here cannot substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional which must be done in person. Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for help locating a treatment center for addiction.